The aftermath of a breakup can be devastating. Most people emerge from it intact, but research has shown that the emotional end of a romantic relationship can lead to physical symptoms including insomnia, intrusive thoughts, GI problems, reduced immune function and even shortness of breath and chest pain. In fact the physical symptoms can be so severe, people end up in the emergency room. I’m not exaggerating either. Science has shown us that a broken heart can literally lead to a broken heart, aka the broken heart syndrome, a temporary condition also known as stress induced cardiomyopathy.
And while on the mend of a breakup, even the most motivated people can have a difficult time determining how best to get on with their lives.
1. Where you sleep should be a happy and safe place to promote sleep. Its important to keep these places separate so your bed doesn’t become a trigger for crying or sadness. This will prevent sleepless nights and allow you to sleep better.
2. The mind and body often use routine activities, environments and scents to trigger memories. Change your perfume, talk a different route to class, go to the gym in the morning instead of the evening. Even the smallest change in your routine will rewire the mind and warehouse old memories and create new ones.
3. Exercise will help you stay fit, channel your energy into a positive activity and promote the release of feel good hormones. And the results will make you happy as well.
4. Even if you feel like food has lost its flavor and you have no appetite – it’s all in your mind, literally. The areas of the brain in charge of emotions and emotional pain also regulate how we eat, our need for food, and what we taste. These areas are near each other and thus can influence one another. Don’t stop feeding the taste buds and your appetite will return. And with working out you’ll need the energy source.
5. I know this one seems like the easiest but it’s actually the hardest if you’re sincere with it because we may feel salty or cheated, or like we wasted our time. But you can’t get away without doing this if you really want to heal and from the inside out. Center yourself with meditation and prayer to restore, repair and replenish your spirit. This is all about becoming a better person mentally, spiritually and emotional which impacts you physically.
© ASKNURSEALICE.COM 2022 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | LEGAL
This website is for informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.